This year has been a great one in many ways and a year of learning good, easy, and hard lessons all around. One of my favorite revelations this year has been finding out that it takes a lot of focus to build some focus. Eventually, the latter increases while the former decreases. It’s easier to focus on things for a longer time if you spend consistent effort focusing. This has led me to write more, read more, and deliberately work on things I value.
Reading is one of my favorite things to do because it relaxes me, takes me away to a different world, I learn something new, or about someone new and all these things are things that reading in some form brings me. So in this post I’ll talk a little about that and a little about my favorite way to consume books consistently, audiobooks.
Last year, I started listening to audiobooks by way of Harry Potter and within 3 months, I finished all 7 books! This was a combination of the writing by J.K. Rowling and narration by Stephen Fry. I also listened to a couple more books along with that, including Jurassic Park narrated by Scott Brick (written by Michael Crichton).
This year, I continued the trend with even more books. I got to a total of 20 books! I did slow down a bit in the middle of the year but I started listening to more again in September.
Below is the full list of all the books I listened (narrators in parentheses):
- Artemis by Andy Weir (Rosario Dawson)
- The Lost World by Michael Crichton (Scott Brick)
- Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates (author)
- Lord of the Rings [radio show version] by J. R. R. Tolkien (multiple cast members)
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (Wil Wheaton)
- Watership Down by Richard Adams (Ralph Cosham)
- The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin (Luke Daniels)
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (Stephen Fry)
- A Fine Mess by T.R. Reid (author)
- A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking (Michael Jackson)
- Ikigai by Héctor García & Francesc Miralles (Walter Dixon)
- Dragon Teeth by Michael Crichton (Scott Brick)
- Exit West by Mohsin Hamid (author)
- The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom (author)
- The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo (Graeme Malcolm)
- Deep Work by Cal Newport (Jeff Bottoms)
- Eragon by Christopher Paolini (Gerard Doyle)
- Factfulness by Hans Rosling (Simon Slater)
- The Wild Ones by C. Alexandar London (William DeMerritt)
- Stardust by Neil Gaiman (author)
Out of these 20 books, my top there are Watership Down, Dragon Teeth, and Stardust. All the ones I enjoyed the most were fantasy or fiction of some kind. Dragon Teeth blew me away by how well it was written and how different of a book it is from anything else I’ve encountered. I listened to Stardust within the last 2 weeks and it has been a great book read by Neil Gaiman himself! My favorite of the year is definitely Watership Down, check out my full review of it.
Now, on to 2019 and a full year of new books to check out! If you have any recommendations, please send them to me!