Bookends update, March 2019 #2

šŸ’„šŸ“–šŸŒ·

I’m standing here at my mac mini, with my head in my hands, frustrated yet laughing at myself. It’s been more than 3 months or whatever since I started working on this project and each time I finish working on a small feature, a bigger issue arises.

A couple of days ago, I rewrote the BookModel which was initially tightly coupled with the Amazon response but I realized I should make it less reliant on Amazon and more on the local cache I had already set up. Well, today, I was working on it and I realized it was so stupid of me to rely on Amazon at all. They’ve throttled my request for book search even though I was making something between 10-20 requests an hour if that, and all while doing development so maybe 200-300 request every week.

Well, I don’t want to just rant about Amazon. I have decided to start using OpenLibrary as it’s available to use and I will just need to update the BookModel slightly instead of rewriting it this time.

Onwards!

If you’d like to checkout Bookends right now, you can go to https://bookends.app. It’s not ready to be used by you’ll see updates from me here and there.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.